Los Angeles County prosecutors are reviewing a possible sex-crimes case against Oscar-winning
Greg Risling, a spokesman for the Los Angles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey, confirmed the development to USA TODAY on Wednesday. (Last
“I can confirm a case was presented by the sheriff’s department on April 5 and it’s under review,” Risling said in an email.
Officer Nicole Nishida, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, confirmed sex-crimes detectives presented the case to prosecutors but would not discuss details about the accuser or the nature of the accusation.
She issued a statement that described the accuser as an adult man who alleges Spacey sexually assaulted him in West Hollywood in October of 1992. Investigators from the department’s Special Victims Bureau began an investigation into the case in December 2017, 25 years later.
It is not clear if the accuser has ever spoken to the media or spoken only anonymously. It’s also not clear how a 25-year-old sexual assault allegation falls within California’s statute of limitations.
So far, at least 15 men have accused Spacey of sexual misconduct; he is one of scores of powerful Hollywood figures toppled after similar allegations against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein were first reported in October 2017 and set off a flood of accusations.
After Anthony Rapp, an actor on Star Trek: Discovery, said in an Oct. 29 interview that Spacey made sexual advances in 1986, when Rapp was 14, in Spacey’s New York apartment, men in cities such as New York, London and Nantucket, Mass., have gone public with their stories about how Spacey allegedly harassed, groped, assaulted or attempted to rape them.
Only one allegation on USA TODAY’s list took place in the Los Angeles area: Filmmaker Tony Montana told USA TODAY in November that a drunken Spacey groped him and chased him into a bathroom in a pub in the city of Los Angeles in 2003.
“He grabbed my whole package, he grabbed me hard; no one had ever done that to me,” said Montana, who was then in his 30s.
Spacey, 58, initially apologized publicly to Rapp, without admitting to anything, and then disappeared from public view. Among other consequences, he was fired from his award-winning Netflix series, House of Cards, his bio-pic of Gore Vidal was dumped by Netflix, and he was fired from another movie, All the Money in the World, and replaced by Christopher Plummer (who was then nominated for an Oscar).
And the Old Vic, a not-for-profit theater in London where Spacey served as artistic director for more than a decade, also reported that an investigation into allegations about Spacey uncovered 20 personal accounts of alleged misconduct.
Spacey has said nothing in public since his apology to Rapp and his lawyers have declined to respond to requests for comment. Spacey was later spotted at an Arizona luxury rehab clinic where Weinstein also stayed for treatment for sex addiction.
Spacey’s lawyers did not return a call from USA TODAY Wednesday. The Associated Press reported his current rep, Laura Johnson, declined to comment.
Prosecuting some of the allegations against Spacey would depend on the nature of the alleged crime and the statute of limitations in the state or country where the crime allegedly took place.
The most recent allegation came from a former Boston TV news anchor who accused Spacey of groping the genitals of her then-18-year-old son in a bar on Nantucket, Mass., in July 2016. So far, authorities on Cape Cod have not brought any charges against Spacey in connection with that case.
Police in the United Kingdom are reported to be investigating multiple cases against Spacey but so far no charges have been brought there.
Read or Share this story: https://usat.ly/2GSoPfJ