Sydney newspaper The Daily Telegraph has fired back in court against
Last week Rush had a significant win in the Federal Court when the judge ruled in his favour that parts of The Daily Telegraph’s defence case should be struck out.
It means when the case goes to trial, The Daily Telegraph’s use of the truth and qualified privilege defence could not be used.
But today in court, the newspaper’s legal team stated it will appeal against part of that ruling.
Tom Blackburn SC told the court The Daily Telegraph “took care, great care that what was published was true”.
“We don’t believe there were any errors of fact,” he said.
He also called for a halt to any pre-trial proceedings until the appeal was resolved.
Rush’s legal team, who had been pushing for the trial to happen as soon as possible, called that a delaying tactic.
His lawyer Sue Chrysanthou told the court her client was an “international figure” and allegations were being “reported around the world”.
Ms Chrysanthou said the case should proceed as planned in August so Rush can “vindicate his reputation”.
The court also heard Rush intends to take the stand.
The Daily Telegraph’s lawyer told the court that pushing ahead with that timeframe will place “unnecessary pressure and cost” on his clients.
The case will return to court on April 9.