Karen and Kevin Clifton have split, they confirmed today.
Speaking on Chris Evans’ breakfast
“Dance is how we came together and is what glues us together.
“We’re still the best of friends – we still have a lot of love and respect for each other.
“What we’ve found is that since we’ve been honest with each other it’s unlocked our creativity.”
Before 21st February the last time the pair were pictured together on a social media site was in November.
Since then rumours have been swirling that the two are set to divorce.
The husband-and-wife duo, who married in July 2015, have been plagued by split rumours after Karen was spotted getting friendly with a 27-year-old accountant named Stuart Wood in early December.
There was also speculation that Kevin’s close friendship with Louise Redknapp , who was his Strictly partner in 2016, had angered Karen.
Louise is reported to have been “supporting him through his woes,” according to the Daily Star – after the pals became close.
Louise was famously struck with the Strictly curse after her stint on the show resulted in the end of her marriage to footballer Jamie Redknapp.
She has hired Kevin as her official choreographer on tour.
Mirror Online has contacted representatives for comment.
Karen and Kevin sparked more marriage trouble rumours last year when they didn’t dance together during the Strictly finale.
For Christmas, Karen then flew to New York to spend it with her family while Kevin remained in the UK.
And just a few weeks ago Kevin was spotted not wearing his wedding ring, sparking more marriage trouble speculation.
However, in January Karen shot down any rumours of a rift.
“Kevin and I start our own tour in May which we are really looking forward to,” she told the Sunday Mirror’s Talk TV. “We are really excited and we are creating right now and just talking through everything,” she said.
(Image: Getty Images Europe)
There were rumours about their future on Strictly Come Dancing.
But Kevin and Karen Clifton will “both get to keep their jobs” on the BBC1 show – despite high-profile, backstage drama.
The couple feared they’d be axed after becoming a PR distraction for TV bosses.
But last month an inside source claimed they’ve been given a second chance.
A source told The Sun : “Bosses are aware tensions between Kevin and Karen will be high so considered bringing one of them back to make things easier.
“However, after they decided not to bring back Brendan Cole, they didn’t want to risk any further backlash by getting rid of another established pro.
“Kevin and Karen will be professional on the show but it’s unlikely you’ll spot them happily standing next to each other on camera.”
A representative at the BBC said: “Strictly Come Dancing returns later in the year and the pro line- up will be revealed in due course.”
Whether their place on the show will be in danger as they start divorce proceedings remains to be seen.