JOB TITLE: Field Canvasser
DEPARTMENT: Health and Social Services
REPORTS TO: Civic Engagement Coordinator
JOB SCHEDULE: Part-Time
EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-Exempt
SEAMAAC welcomes applications for part-time Field Canvassers. SEAMAAC is a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia, with the mission “To support and serve immigrants and refugees and other politically, socially and economically marginalized communities as they seek to advance the condition of their lives in the United States.” SEAMAAC envisions a strong and unified society, where immigrants and refugees work alongside other Americans to build shared political, economic and social power. We envision a community where the contributions of each generation of Americans, whether Native to this land, immigrant, or brought against their will, are equally acknowledged, valued and embraced, and where all people live whole, healthy lives with joy and dignity.
SEAMAAC is looking for personable and energetic individuals with a strong passion to participate in the democratic process through non-partisan voter registration and voter turnout work. SEAMAAC provides coordination, mentorship, and training. Prior experience is encouraged. Candidates must have reliable transportation. Essential responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Registering citizens to vote in Philadelphia and surrounding suburbs at community events and
- Canvassing: Visiting registered voters door-to-door to provide education on issues impacting community members, and encouraging them to get out and vote
- Phone banking: Calling registered voters to provide education on issues impacting community members, and encouraging them to get out and vote
- Help to recruit and manage teams of volunteers during GOTV and Voter Registration Events
- Organize at least 1-2 volunteers per weekly event
- Be the point person for volunteer teams during events
- Actively participate in organizational-wide and community work efforts and events.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Experience working with Limited English Proficiency population preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with diverse staff
- Understanding of and commitment to SEAMAAC’s principles, concerns, and considerations in regard to issues of race, class, nationality, religion, age, gender and sexual orientation, and disabilities
- Willingness to sign an agreement committing to non-partisan voter engagement work, and other requirements for voter engagement work in a 501(c)3 non-profit organizations
- Fluency in a Asian languages is highly desirable, including but not limited to Mandarin, Vietnamese, Korean, Hindi, Punjabi, Nepali, Bhutanese, Khmer, Hmong, Lao, Indonesian, Burmese (and/or one of the ethnic languages/dialects such as Karen, Chin, Shan, etc).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Potential for unpredictable and violent clients. Inside and outside work with exposure to weather conditions
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must undergo criminal, child abuse and health background checks. SEAMAAC will consider all applicants fairly and will review background check results to determine whether they affect the applicant’s suitability for the job.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Salary and Benefits:
Hours: This position is for approximately 10 hours per week. Must be flexible to work evenings and weekends.
Salary: Hourly rate commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position does not offers health insurance, paid vacation, sick and personal leave
SEAMAAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should submit a detailed cover letter and resume.
Job Type: Part-time
Required work authorization:
- United States
Please review all application instructions before applying to SEAMAAC, Inc.
Other jobs you may like
Spectracom a Guardian Dealer Pennsauken, NJ
14 days ago